About Me

My photo
Mommy to lego and minecraft obsessed little boy and twin girls who love dressing in tutus or princess gowns and trying on Mom's makeup. All 3 of my kids have their special talents and strengths and their unique challenges. Autism, Apraxia, Hypotonia, Anxiety, Sensory Processing, Receptive Language Disorder, and IEPs are all a part of the language spoken in this house! Always on the go to one therapy or play date to another support group meeting. . .

Monday, February 13, 2012

ASD Special Gift

Pinterest search for DIY sensory projects lead me to stumble upon an online debate between mentally gifted and ASD kids and their similarities. Even when I'm not looking for debates and controversy, I find one! Did you know some people think there could be a link between mentally gifted and ASD? Some believe that ASD is a misdiagnosis of MG kids. Maybe or maybe not. You know what? I don't freakin' care! I'd like to return ASD and any other extras that come with it. Can you tell me where I can return it? Do you think I can return it at Walmart? I hear they return anything.

Everyday I learn something new about ASD and its world. Sadly its never a cure, although God knows so many things on the internet promise a cure. Usually its an opinion, another useless study, and some really passionate parents arguing that their personal belief is right and you're wrong. Meanwhile JD struggles to speak, to be understood, to control his emotions and energy, craving structure and endless cues and reminders. It's another day where we struggle to keep ASD at bay. I don't have time to debate or to be an autism advocate. I'm too busy being a JD advocate. And I really have no need to criticize a parent's belief or strategy. However parents choose to safely and lovingly parent- that's up to them and not for me to criticize. I would really like to be able to do any type of internet search without encountering someone's negativity and judgment though. I'm coming to understand that ASD parents are very critical of each other, which seems a shame to me. Shouldn't we all have a sit in a circle and share a Kumbaya my lord moment?

Regardless of where you stand on any ASD issue, I know we all love our kids, the NTs and the ASDs. And we're all just trying to do whatever is best for them. But you gotta admit, if we could return it at the returns department of (insert your choice of religious beliefs) there would be a long line wouldn't there?



JD in his room at bedtime


No comments:

Post a Comment