About Me

My photo
Mommy to lego and minecraft obsessed little boy and twin girls who love dressing in tutus or princess gowns and trying on Mom's makeup. All 3 of my kids have their special talents and strengths and their unique challenges. Autism, Apraxia, Hypotonia, Anxiety, Sensory Processing, Receptive Language Disorder, and IEPs are all a part of the language spoken in this house! Always on the go to one therapy or play date to another support group meeting. . .

Sunday, February 12, 2012

ASD, Potty training, and laughter

You get some pretty interesting results on Google when you do a search for potty training with ASD. At this point, I'm just looking for other ASD parents who have found success. You see, JD has outgrown size 6 diapers. Size 7's are hard to find and expensive as all get out. We're using Goodnights and Pull ups but JD doesn't really like them. In fact, he takes them off and tells me he wants diapers.

I have been thinking of trying to potty train (again) for a while now. I think he's capable of it but who knows? I was plagued with doubt-- until this afternoon. And it went something like this-

JD ran up the steps after me.
Me: "I'm going to change your poopy diaper."
JD: No, change diaper! I go potty." Off we go- I don't know which one of us was more excited. JD sits on the toilet, asks for toilet paper, and tells me he needs to flush.
Me: "Did you pee? No toilet paper until you go potty."
JD: " I go potty! Need toilet paper."
Me: "Did you pee? I don't see anything. Lets wait until you pee." They never tell you that as a parent you'll inspect the potty contents for your kids.
JD: "I did pee! I flush toilet. Need paper."
At this point I am cracking up. Then I realize-  well if understands when to flush, then he can understand when to go potty!  So my friends, we're going to start potty training! So that JD can flush and get toilet paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment