About Me

My photo
Mommy to lego and minecraft obsessed little boy and twin girls who love dressing in tutus or princess gowns and trying on Mom's makeup. All 3 of my kids have their special talents and strengths and their unique challenges. Autism, Apraxia, Hypotonia, Anxiety, Sensory Processing, Receptive Language Disorder, and IEPs are all a part of the language spoken in this house! Always on the go to one therapy or play date to another support group meeting. . .

Sunday, February 5, 2012

JD 1- Car Show 0

We went to the car show today- JD, the twins, and me. I don't know if it was bravery or stupidity- maybe the chronic sleep deprivation but I got the kids up, dressed, fed, and out the door we went. Drove down to China Town, got stuck in Parade traffic, overpaid for parking, grabbed the diaper bag and off we went. Stupidity or bravery- Can I just say I totally rocked it!! Because I sure #ss did!
Here are the highlights-

  1. Get stuck in Parade traffic- Chinese New Year. We see the dragon and the lantern lights hanging. JD in the back row: "Mama- Look Dragon! Dragon! Dragon! Look Balloons (lantern)."  That sentence was worth the trip right there. He was so excited. We just finished watching a Caillou episode about the Chinese New Year. Did he make the connection? I think he sure did. Proud Mama!
  2. I park on the 5th floor, get the girls out of the infant seats and strapped in the double stroller while holding on to JD who as you all know has no fear and has no sense of danger. If I let him go for even a second, I really don't know what he'd get up to.  You know that handicap parking permit would come in handy right about now.  Thank you Autism Daddy, ours is on its way! So we get close to the elevator and I notice there's freaking 3 steps up to get to the elevator bay. WTF?!!! Seriously? What did I do?  Well I didn't cry. I let JD go up 1st and told him to stand there and count the steps for me. I lifted the stroller from the middle and lifted the damn 50 lbs of it up the 3 steps. I had a couple choice words for whoever designed that parking lot too! We then hop and skip on our toes across Broad Street. Well atleast JD did. I was busy whimpering, 3 herniated discs, lifting anything isn't a good mix. 
  3. There's a line at the ticket booth. Crap. How to avoid meltdown impatience city? We took a walk to the ATM machine and then came back and bought my ticket. The kids got in free. If one more person tells me how busy I am or how full my hands are, I will not be responsible for my response. Is that necessary folks? Don't you think I KNOW that? Shut up, did I ask for your opinion? Be helpful and get the hell out of my way. A double stroller is hard to steer one handed. I just might run over your toes. Anyway back to Highlight #3- another elevator. JD loved this elevator. So did I because there were no steps to climb. The elevator floor was black tile but it was really shiny and you could see your reflection on it. Plus it went up so fast that it gave you that stomach on the roof sensation. It kinds made me dizzy. But JD-- he thought it was all hysterical and I had a heck of a time convincing him to get off the elevator. I did not pay $20 parking to ride an elevator kiddo!
  4. Once we got into the Philly Car Show, I swear birds sang and the gates to JD car heaven opened up. Million dollar smile, jumping up and down squealing. "Cars! Cars! This way, this way mama!" So what if I had a stain on my sweatpants suspiciously like a popsicle or that I had to keep hiking them up?
  5. Then, the funniest thing was going through the show a mile a second! I mean you'd think we were in a race to get through it. He grabbed my hand and lead. It was all a blur. He loved this hideous lime green Scion, a racing stripe Dodge Challenger (I think thats what it was called), and the Fiat display because it had die cast cars on display. He also liked Toyota because it had balloon in glass. Couple rough patches where JD decided to throw himself on the floor but either I redirected, walked away (while staying close by obviously, I'm not a loser mom who will abandon their kid), and sometimes carried him like a football while steering the stroller. Did I mention I rocked it today? But JD rocked the car show the most. It was great to see him engage. Spinning around, squealing with excitement. The girls were angels, snacking and waving at everyone.
JD won the race through the car show. He sat in a couple of cars, did NOT stop smiling the whole time there. Very much worth it.  Oh and BTW- I carried the stroller down the 3 fing steps in the parking lot to get to our floor from the elevator bay. Goofiest thing I've ever seen. My bag clip didn't survive the way down. My back is bothering me and I no longer doubt that I have a hernia. It most definitely is bothering me now. Guess the doctor was right. But hey JD loved the experience. Here he is trying to figure out which way to head 1st. He came right back and held my hand and dragged me everywhere. Since I told him he'd be lost and I'd be sad if he walked away from me.


No comments:

Post a Comment