About Me

My photo
Mommy to lego and minecraft obsessed little boy and twin girls who love dressing in tutus or princess gowns and trying on Mom's makeup. All 3 of my kids have their special talents and strengths and their unique challenges. Autism, Apraxia, Hypotonia, Anxiety, Sensory Processing, Receptive Language Disorder, and IEPs are all a part of the language spoken in this house! Always on the go to one therapy or play date to another support group meeting. . .

Monday, April 9, 2012

I'm The Easter Bunny!

It's true- I am the Easter Bunny in the Winnie the Pooh- Spring time with Roo. We watched it this past Easter weekend-  it's very Dickensian. Rabbit wants things done his way. Rabbit has a schedule and routine of how things must be. A checklist for everything. Because this is Easter and he's the Bunny, so He knows best. And just as we watched Rabbit in his rant- JD said, "Mama, Bunny is sad." I told my hubby that I was Rabbit! I'm the Dickensian Easter Bunny! And I don't want to be. I want to be happy.

Ever wonder how we get our "family roles" and how we can change them? I don't want to be Rabbit. I don't want to order people around, manage our checklist. . .the calendar. No, no, I don't want that. I used to be more laid back- pre Twingle land. I wonder, are all mom's or the dare I say it- primary caregivers destined to be the family cruise directors? The "responsible" parent?

What's that you say? We're going shopping? My mind goes into overdrive- immediately I start to think of what needs to be done. Ok, so read the rest of the next couple of paragraphs to the tune of I am The Major General. Because it's how I feel when I'm going through The Checklist of Readiness!


Here we go . . . Deep Breath
     Pack the diaper bag. 5 diapers for the girls, 3 diapers for JD, change of clothes for all 3, snacks and sips for all 3, baby food jars, wipes, 1st aid kit with medicines, some toys. Did I mention plenty of snacks? Sanitizer, Wipes- have I said wipes yet? Can never have to many of those. Camera. Because you never know when you want to take some pictures. My meds, bottle of water, nursing pads and a extra shirt for me. No extra bra for some reason. Guess I'll be sans bra should the need arise. My imaginary checklist is checked off with each item. Cell? Wallet? Calendar?

Deep Breath, and . . .Again

     Change diapers, check them just before we leave. Jackets on. Is everyone changed and does everyone have 2 socks? Is JD wearing shoes & socks? Are their hands and faces clean? Did they eat or drink, or nurse? Are they tired, is it too close to nap time? How are we sensory wise- does JD need time out or is he good? Does JD have his hot wheels with him? Am I dressed? Did I brush my teeth or brush my hair? Are my clothes clean or do I smell? Yes seriously- did someone throw up on me, spit up, or wipe their nose on me? Gasp, did I put on deodorant? Hmm, put more on just in case. Where the hell is my phone? Wow my hair looks bad, more gray hair. Need to go to the salon- seriously! And these glasses- need more contacts. No Cems don't put that in your mouth. Where the heck is the other one?

Catch your breath. Isn't that exhausting? See! I know! I turn into Rabbit Ranting. Instead I just want to enjoy the moment. But I can't, because then we won't ever be ready to leave the house. If I don't Control everything, Orchestrate everything, how can it possibly be done correctly? And if I didn't Plan for everything, then we might somehow be unprepared and be stuck miles from civilization without Everything. Is being a Mother synonymous for being the Planner? Is there a Mom who isn't a Planner- does such a creature exist?

Here's a pic of Rabbit, err I mean me- in my Master General disguise.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major-General's_Song


No comments:

Post a Comment