About Me

My photo
Mommy to lego and minecraft obsessed little boy and twin girls who love dressing in tutus or princess gowns and trying on Mom's makeup. All 3 of my kids have their special talents and strengths and their unique challenges. Autism, Apraxia, Hypotonia, Anxiety, Sensory Processing, Receptive Language Disorder, and IEPs are all a part of the language spoken in this house! Always on the go to one therapy or play date to another support group meeting. . .

Monday, April 16, 2012

Fat lip and spilt yogurt

Today was not so great. Could've been worse though. I had 1 meal (dinner), 2 cups of water during the day, yogurt spilled on my pants at night, had a baby poke my eye, JD nailed me 2 times once on the cheek and once in the lip & teeth. I think my tooth is loose. So now I have to go to the dentist if it stays that way.

It was suggested that yelling at my kid made his ASD worse. Yeah because when you get a fat lip from your son banging his head against you and hitting the lip that just recovered- you wouldn't yell at him. It was not a sensory reaction- this was purely a temper tantrum- I didn't get my way so I'll head butt you move. He loves to do this whenever I've got him in a tight hug (to slow down his overload- he likes sensory input). I just wasn't quick enough to move my head out of the danger zone twice today. My cheek still hurts and my lip is cracked. 2nd time in less than 3 days that he's split my lip.

I'm struggling with getting family to understand that he needs consistency in whatever household he's at. What I mean by that- if at our house he is expected to sit and eat meals at the table and feed himself- then that same expectation should be enforced at anybody else's house. He is capable of self feeding and sitting down at a table to do so. I'm trying to do away with the high chair because I know he can do it and plus he's really outgrown it. If negative behaviors are reinforced out of "love and affection" it is a form of enabling. And you can't enable- what's the point of all of these therapies if they're being sabotaged? I know the intent isn't to harm him- but it is very frustrating to be having the same argument that I've been having since before we had a diagnosis. It is more frustrating on an empty stomach. And I get really cranky when I have a bloody mouth, a puffy split lip, and nothing to eat other than 2 cheese slices and a slice of cake. I admit I had a meltdown. I wanted to throw myself on JD's favorite spot and cry and scream. Instead I cried and screamed standing in my dining room. Sigh.

Hoping Tuesday goes better. Why it could've been worse? Well at bath time we gave him fruit snack candies as his positive reinforcement. I was able to wash his hair and body without any self injurious behaviors. YAY- Mommy 1- Bad bath time behaviors and crying 0! Oh and his school agreed to bump up his days to 4 school days a week in September. That my friends is what made is a bearable day. Like I said, it could've been worse. Not that I want it to be worse. I'm hoping Tuesday brings a much easier day.

Good night, I'm off to bed. Please Tuesday, be kind to me & my puffy sore lip. Please ABA therapies- help us curb the injurious behaviors.

No comments:

Post a Comment