About Me

My photo
Mommy to lego and minecraft obsessed little boy and twin girls who love dressing in tutus or princess gowns and trying on Mom's makeup. All 3 of my kids have their special talents and strengths and their unique challenges. Autism, Apraxia, Hypotonia, Anxiety, Sensory Processing, Receptive Language Disorder, and IEPs are all a part of the language spoken in this house! Always on the go to one therapy or play date to another support group meeting. . .

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Am I burning out or is this just the norm?


JD running around like a nut (LCL 2012)
I've been so worried about JD getting burnt out and regressing. He's only 3 and yet I feel like we're on game show trying to beat the clock-- you know get all these early intervention services started before he turns 5. A mental check list in my head- gear up the speech, the OT, the ABA, increase social groups, blah, blah blah. He's only 3 and his schedule is busier than mine was when I worked and had a professional life. At what point do I stop worrying about burn out or is this just a new norm for us? Will this too be a part of worrying about my kids?

Here's a couple of my slip ups along the way- falling under the category Loser Mom Moments:

Soccer-
I tried enrolling him in soccer because he likes kicking the ball-- well that was a colossal failure. Who knew it was going to be an indoor event? Who knew there would be stinking wall to wall mirrors? The whistle constantly blowing? It was stressful for me and JD just shut down. We never went back after that 1st day. The shin guards and socks are still on the van somewhere. He did look cute in them.

Swimming-
 I thought let's take him to swimming- great OT, and it's a safety concern. Well most of the activities started this month and well we had a lot going on during the weekends this month it being Autism Awareness month. And earlier this month we were going through a I-Hate-Water-Touching-My-Head spell. Not great timing. So I said let's wait.

Music Therapy-
I wanted an ASD music therapy group only because the NT & Special Needs Soccer group turned out to be all NT and seemingly just JD as the special needs. Well turns out not enough people signed up for it and it was cancelled.

Gymnastics-
I didn't even enroll him in it. He's the right physical age but I don't know if he has the attention span and maturity to stay focused for an hour. He gets overstimulated fairly easily. He's so hyper and he goes from 0-100 so quickly in terms of excitement.

After gymnastics I said- hmm I'm going to stop for now. Let me wave the white flag. Maybe we'll just go to the playground alot this summer. Between that, the Zoo membership, the Please Touch Museum membership, I think we'll be fine socializing. I have lost the gameshow I think. Maybe I just need to take a couple of deep breaths and let him be a kid instead of scheduling everything before I burn out!  Here's a pic of JD being a kid at the Zoo this past weekend at the Lorax exhibit. JD loves Dr. Seuss.

JD at the Lorax vines (LCL 2012)



No comments:

Post a Comment