About Me

My photo
Mommy to lego and minecraft obsessed little boy and twin girls who love dressing in tutus or princess gowns and trying on Mom's makeup. All 3 of my kids have their special talents and strengths and their unique challenges. Autism, Apraxia, Hypotonia, Anxiety, Sensory Processing, Receptive Language Disorder, and IEPs are all a part of the language spoken in this house! Always on the go to one therapy or play date to another support group meeting. . .

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Kids are expensive!

I'm reworking our family budget, trying to trim costs and make our budget balance. It is very difficult to go down to one income and adjust accordingly with 3 little kids. They are expensive and get even more expensive the older they get!

Now in the past year since we've been a 1 income household I've become pretty saving savy.
One of the best things I did was before I quit- I bought my van in cash by emptying my 401K. I know some view that as a faux pas but I can't imagine relying on others or public transportation. If I had a car payment we would be in deep trouble right now. So I am glad that I did it, even though it left me with no retirement fund. I just figure I'll be working for the rest of my life in one way or another.

I've also started couponing-- not an extreme couponer, just a smart couponer. If a deal is good enough, then I bulk up my supply. I buy when things are on sale and if I have a coupon. I buy store brand, I buy the kids clothes either on clearance or from a consignment. Diapers, bath toiletries, wipes- I buy in bulk or via subscribe n save on Amazon.com or Diapers.com. 

I've done an interest rate reduction twice on our mortgage. It's not much, but every penny saved is a penny earned right? I've cashed in our change and deposited into the kids accounts, I've consolidated our credit card debt into a 0% offer and I'll keep doing that until hopefully the debt is gone. I'll have myself a hallelujah happy dance when that day comes. I called the phone company and cable companies threatening to cancel. I've gotten promotional deals this way. Most recently I changed from cable to satellite and I bundled it with my phone, cell, and internet. I am saving over $150. just on that alone! So a month ago we started with a monthly budget deficit over $450, now I'm just trying to find an extra $150 a month. That's huge! I've been busy making phone calls and researching costs. I still have more things to cut out, more things to see about changing, my goal is to make this budget be in the black. Then I need to figure out how to make extra money in the fall. I'd like to start saving again and have a decent down payment for when we eventually move.

Anyways, kids are expensive, budgets are a necessary evil, and I have a headache from working on excel today. Here's a copy of the baby/kid expenses portion.

Price per Unit Units per Mo Monthly Costs
sz 4 Luvs 180 ct  35 1 35
sz 7 Pampers 100 ct 47.19 1 47.19
shampoo/bath 30 1 30
wipes box of 720 18.49 1 18.49
mum mums 15.31 1 15.31
puffs 17.63 1 17.63
yogurt/melts 80 1 80
fruit snacks 14.08 1.5 21.12
juice 2.5 8 20
coconut milk/rice milk 4 6 24
gas 55 4 220
vitamins 19.99 0.33 6.5967
calcium chews 4.9 0.5 2.45
Girls Omega 13.56 1 13.56
omega  28 0.33 9.24
probiotics 16.75 3 50.25
enzymes 23.62 0.5 11.81
Total 535.34

No comments:

Post a Comment