About Me

My photo
Mommy to lego and minecraft obsessed little boy and twin girls who love dressing in tutus or princess gowns and trying on Mom's makeup. All 3 of my kids have their special talents and strengths and their unique challenges. Autism, Apraxia, Hypotonia, Anxiety, Sensory Processing, Receptive Language Disorder, and IEPs are all a part of the language spoken in this house! Always on the go to one therapy or play date to another support group meeting. . .

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Not available

A couple of weeks ago our laptop died and so I had almost no internet access for about three weeks. Out of sheer desperation, as my shaking hands experienced internet withdrawal, I checked my facebook via my kindle keyboard. I couldn't write on my blog or facebook blog page. I realized, hell- I'm a google and facebook addict! I realized during those weeks that being unavailable, having no internet access, has its advantages.

When I login to my Twingle mami's facebook page I am instantly bombarded with the Autism. It gets a bit overwhelming. So much so that I have un-Autismed my personal page. Don't get me wrong- Facebook and the Internet are incredibly useful. Being able to connect with others who understand is absolutely wonderful. We learn from each other- I hope. The Autism community has its squabbles and disagreements. There seem to be 2 camps- those who believe its something to cure and those who believe we should just be more understanding. Let's call it the politics of it all. I try not to choose sides and honestly my news feed is stressful because both sides just like to politicize and blast the opposing side. Maybe I'm being Pollyanna-esq about it, because I honestly don't get why we all just can't get along. Does it really matter what we believe? I mean aren't both sides still trying to muddle along on the same journey? This side hates Autism Speaks, This side hates the homeopathic alternative approaches, this one dislikes something else-- Uggh whatever! Shut up already!

I'm just trying to do the best thing for my kids. I'm learning as I go, and for that I need all the help and resources available. So that means I stay neutral and make an informed decision. I'm not picking sides because maybe both sides have some valid useful information. So for now, we're doing ABA, Speech, Occupational Therapy, special instruction preschool, getting wrap around services- an in school aide. We have also started Omega 3-6-9, Probiotics, Digestive Enzymes, dairy free. We are doing Epsom salt baths. We are trying to go organic and specific carb diet. We have also decided to stop vaccinations for now. No more flu shot, no measles, no chicken pox- I mean I didn't get vaccinated for any of that when I was a kid and I've made it to my 30's. I'm sure plenty of folks will call me a bad parent for these decisions. And sure all of this comes with uncertainty and guilt. But you know what?

Now that my computer is in its second life, new hard drive and fully restored- its nice to know my Autism online community is there when I need them, hopefully I am helping some or educating others. I can choose not to google. I can choose to to turn off my computer and avoid facebook- or at least my blog's page. It's nice to tell my Autism news feed that I'm not available- It's kind of like a refreshing vacation. But I like that it's my choice and not because my computer died.

No comments:

Post a Comment