About Me

My photo
Mommy to lego and minecraft obsessed little boy and twin girls who love dressing in tutus or princess gowns and trying on Mom's makeup. All 3 of my kids have their special talents and strengths and their unique challenges. Autism, Apraxia, Hypotonia, Anxiety, Sensory Processing, Receptive Language Disorder, and IEPs are all a part of the language spoken in this house! Always on the go to one therapy or play date to another support group meeting. . .

Monday, December 22, 2014

Christmas Wish


Merry Christmas from our house to yours.

I was just reading an article on inclusion and thought of my friend Simon.  Behind every kid or adult who is included and a part of the community there is a family supporting and advocating. In this case a super mom who advocated passionately for her beloved son.

In high school I met Simon who was amazingly intelligent, funny, smiling eyes, and above all great kindness.  He was also nonverbal, wheelchair bound, and vision impaired. I would usually bump into him by the elevator. He went on to study at Temple University, where we again bumped into each other from time to time as we hustled to our classes.

I would love to say I was a great friend to Simon. I wish in hindsight that I would have been a great friend to him. I wish I was still in contact with him. I think of him often and rather miss bumping into him. I admire his strength and his perseverance greatly. I am sure he had his bad days when he cursed his disability and the many challenges he faced. I am equally sure that he is still embracing life and living it. He is a great guy and his mom and those who helped him along the way did an amazing job of ensuring he lived “inclusively” and I was blessed to spend some time as his “community.”


My Christmas wish for all of you is that you too be a part of an inclusive community whether you be a parent, family, friend, or advocate.  Never stop advocating.

I leave you all with one of my favorite Christmas songs and hope you all have a great holiday with your loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment