About Me

My photo
Mommy to lego and minecraft obsessed little boy and twin girls who love dressing in tutus or princess gowns and trying on Mom's makeup. All 3 of my kids have their special talents and strengths and their unique challenges. Autism, Apraxia, Hypotonia, Anxiety, Sensory Processing, Receptive Language Disorder, and IEPs are all a part of the language spoken in this house! Always on the go to one therapy or play date to another support group meeting. . .

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Squeaky Wheel

This week we have an IEP date for my son's transition to kindergarten. YAY! I have been a PITA. I have. I have emailed, called, and otherwise stalked to ensure we have everything settled by the end of the school year. I don't want my son to be lost in the shuffle.

Now things in the School District are not well. There is no budget in place. The district just reached a settlement with parents to avoid "autism shuffle "whereby parents will be given prior notice before a child with autism is transferred to a different school. Schools are operating in a no frills, minimal budget. Free charter schools are by lottery and sibling preference and once again they do not have to follow IEPs. Private schools and religions schools-- once again don't have to follow IEPs. For a child with an IEP-- public school is the best option to have the ability to enforce an IEP and to have legal recourse, should you need it. Some charter schools only have had "autistic support" classrooms for a year or two. Some are only "life skills".

This transition to Kindergarten is absolutely scary and stressful. IEP is on next Tuesday. Speech evaluation is on Friday. We are pushing for the inclusive classroom and hope we can craft the IEP to truly meet my son's individual educational needs. Hold your breath, hold on to your seats, this meeting is either going to go very well or it'll be an educational opportunity for the rest of the team to think out of the box. I'm going to advocate and I'm going to make sure he gets the supports he needs to make progress and learn. Yes, I'm an autism mom, I'm learning how to advocate, and I have no problem being the squeaky wheel. None whatsoever. Deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment