About Me

My photo
Mommy to lego and minecraft obsessed little boy and twin girls who love dressing in tutus or princess gowns and trying on Mom's makeup. All 3 of my kids have their special talents and strengths and their unique challenges. Autism, Apraxia, Hypotonia, Anxiety, Sensory Processing, Receptive Language Disorder, and IEPs are all a part of the language spoken in this house! Always on the go to one therapy or play date to another support group meeting. . .

Monday, December 30, 2013

Holiday craziness

@2013 Twinglemami in Autismland
Xmas Eve, 2013
The holidays were here and gone. We survived Xmas Eve at my parents with extended family present. True we spent 30 minutes hiding and fighting upstairs in the dark away from everyone. I think we scared my cousin and his girlfriend so badly that they may never even think about procreating together should they be thinking long term. Then Xmas day time with the in laws. That's at our house so it goes much better. We try to time things right so the kiddo doesn't get too overwhelmed. Something as simple as knocking on the door sets all 3 off. JD runs screaming with anxiety up the steps to hide and hover, the girls get riled up and start screaming and running, that sets him off even worse, soon its one big ol crazy.

Honestly, no one in our family truly gets how rough the holidays are for us. Holidays he's so hyper, so out of control. How? An example: His last day of school before the break-- horrid. It was PJ day and breakfast with Santa day at the school, parents got to visit and it was hectic.It was 1 huge ol' melt down from 9-12:45 p.m. until I said we're done, let's go home. And that was with both me and his aide there! I think sometimes extended family forgets that JD's coping skills get worse in crowds. And by crowds I mean family and friends. Sorry but its true. A crowd is a crowd, doesn't matter who makes it.

My favorite part of the holiday is Xmas morning, when it's just us. Hubby, the kids, and me, all in PJs and we watch the kids attack their presents, catch the happiness and joy of being a kid, where I don't worry about autism or overload, I just let all 3 kids be. It's our time to just be, where I don't have to parent (much) or try therapies (much). I love Christmas morning, it makes up for all the craziness and commercialization of the rest of the holiday. For those who believe, I hope Santa was good to you this year.
@2013 Twinglemami in Autismland
Xmas morning, he made himself into a present. My coatbox, perfect size for a 5 year old to play in.

No comments:

Post a Comment