About Me

My photo
Mommy to lego and minecraft obsessed little boy and twin girls who love dressing in tutus or princess gowns and trying on Mom's makeup. All 3 of my kids have their special talents and strengths and their unique challenges. Autism, Apraxia, Hypotonia, Anxiety, Sensory Processing, Receptive Language Disorder, and IEPs are all a part of the language spoken in this house! Always on the go to one therapy or play date to another support group meeting. . .

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Fruit Roll ups, gloves, and baseball!


Baseball clinic was a success this morning! Sports and JD seem to be antonyms. We’ve tried indoor soccer, gymnastics, even a special sports meet up. To date most of his athletics have been demonstrations of avoidance and stubbornness. He's run away, he's ignored everyone & yes, he's even resisted help. Just like my emergency note on my doors warn.
Arguing in the car, arguing getting out of the car, cajoling once we got there. 1st off it was loud and JD needed to get used to it. Ear muffs would've been good. He did it eventually! Yes, he was hyper and needed constant redirection. But he tried it! He participated! He loved catching. Not so much batting. He needs to be a catcher. Why?
JD: " I want to wear his costumer to school mom!" Catcher Gear! Oooh! 

My dad came, stood watching unseen. My dad was definitely teary eyed, I admit I had moments where I unabashedly dried my tears off my face. My dad gave me a hearty kiss on the cheek and hugged his boy. He might love his grandson more than his daughters. As it should be. Their love is a wonderful thing to see.
Playing ball may not seem like much to the outside world. For me, this is a phenomenal morning.A new activity where he participated and he tried. Sure I bribed him with fruit roll ups and ice cream. He did it, he tried! Huge! Proud mom. Too bad he’s looking like he’s a rightie.

BTW- The facility had the special needs baseball clinic free of charge. FREE! Yup! Tons of volunteers who donated time and effort to make it a great event. They had police motorcycle for the kids to ride, meet and greet with police officers, even a visit from the Philly Phanatic. What truly made this day special was seeing all those kids, some like mine, participating in a sporting event for the very 1st time. Seeing a boy in walking canes "run" the bases, seeing a toddler in a specialized seat wheelchair batting his 1st at bat-- special moments and an honor to witness. Watching my boy high five and fist bump with the volunteers and other kids-- priceless. Thanks, so much Sluggersville!


No comments:

Post a Comment